FEED US!
Put your mouse over the pond and click






Jun 10, 2009

Tuesdays Tips N Tricks - Sewing with Knits


I have had problems in the past with my sewing machine 'eating' knits. I use my serger mostly while sewing knits, but sometimes (like with topstitching) then you need to use the sewing machine.
These are some things I've found that have helped me...
  • Use a new stretch needle
  • Use the foot that is completley flat and smooth on the bottom
  • Use a little embroidery stabilizer under the fabric will help (tear away works best)
OK...here's another trick. Take a piece of woven cotton fabric, fold it in half and start sewing on it. Butt your knit right up to it and sew off onto the knit. You can even back tack now on the knit or stitch in place. I do this with light weight cotton too and my serger when using the chain stitch, if I have trouble with them dragging down.
It's rare that I do but some fabrics just want to be contentious!

This is me working on the Farbenmix Olivia pattern for B.

Butt knit up against cotton..



Sew through...



no snagging or bunching...clip off the scrap






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your way with fabric! How inspiring! My mom and grandmother had a way with fabric. I wish I had your talent!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin